[Michlib-l] Mark your calendars for the MCLS Annual Meeting one month from today!

Heather Thomas thomash at mcls.org
Wed Sep 4 15:56:52 EDT 2013

Excuse duplicate postings. Please forward to anyone that you feel could
benefit from attending this program either in person or online via
streaming video!

MCLS is pleased to announce that one month from today, October 4, 2013,
Lisa Carlucci Thomas, 2010 Library Journal Mover and Shaker, 2009 ALA
Emerging Leader and Director of the library and creative services firm
Design Think Do, will present the keynote address at our annual meeting
which will be held at the Marten House Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Viewing by streaming video will also be available for those who cannot
travel to Indianapolis. Our theme for the day is Open Spaces, Open Data,
Open Access: Transforming Today’s Libraries.

Our morning kick-off session begins at 10 AM with a keynote address from
Carlucci Thomas titled “Open Spaces, Open Data, Open Access: Transforming
Today’s Libraries”. Transformation requires trailblazing and tenacity.
Transformative culture fosters engagement and strategic development, and
changes libraries from the inside out. Creative partnerships promote
reciprocal learning, enhance services, and spark opportunities; and
entrepreneurial methods offer advantages for libraries evaluating and
adapting current practices. From library places and programs, to online
collections and communities, today’s libraries are breaking barriers and
setting new standards.

Next will be a panel discussion featuring three mid-western public
libraries which have developed innovative uses of their space. Orvella
Fields from The Indianapolis Public Library will talk about their
“Learning Curve”; a high-tech, high energy, hands-on information
environment designed for children. Joining Ms. Fields will be Steve Teeri,
Conductor at the Detroit Public Library’s “HYPE” Makerspace. The goal of
HYPE is to build teens who are creative, innovative citizens who make, not
just consume. Completing the panel will be CJ Lynce, Manager at the
Cleveland Public Library’s “TechCentral”; an innovative technology and
learning center which beyond computer in Linux, Mac and Windows PCs offers
3D printing, Mycloud, a Tech Toybox and collaborative work areas where
patrons can check-out-a-trainer to assist.

Following lunch, we will hear from Ted Fons, Executive Director, Data
Services and WorldCat Quality Management at OCLC as he presents on the
WorldShare Management Service. Following, David Lewis, Dean of the IUPUI
University Library and Indiana University Assistant Vice President of
Digital Scholarly Communications will speak on the Inevitability of Open
Access. Mr. Lewis has written over 40 articles and book chapters on topics
ranging from reference services and library management to scholarly
communication.

The program will conclude with the MCLS business meeting.

The cost to attend is $75 for MCLS members attending in Indianapolis or
online via streaming video. For more information on this program and to
register, go to: https://members.mcls.org/workshops/viewcourse.html?id=330

Contact me at the information below if you have any questions regarding
this program or any of our other training opportunities.

Thanks! - heather

********************
Heather M. (Thomas) Ladiski, CAP-OM
Executive Assistant/Meeting Planner
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services
1407 Rensen Street, Suite 1
Lansing, Michigan 48910-3657

800/530-9019 ext. 133
517/394-2420 ext. 133