[Michlib-l] Outreach and Programming for Dementia Sufferers

Lois Sprengnether Keel LoiS-sez at lois-sez.com
Mon Sep 9 18:05:34 EDT 2013

On 9/9/2013 10:42 AM, Stanczak, Cindy wrote:
> We've been asked by a local adult care facility if we could come once
> each month to lead a craft or other program.  About 80% of their
> residents have Dementia.  There would be some supervision by staff,
> but I need program ideas that are appropriate.
>
> Do any of you lead programs in adult care facilities and/or for
> dementia sufferers?
>
> Cynthia Stanczak
> Adult & Teen Services Librarian
> Albion District Library
> 501 S. Superior St.
> Albion, MI  49224
> (517) 629-3993 <tel:%28517%29%20629-3993>

Cindy,
You seem to want to be able to do your own program.  My blog at
<http://www.storytellingresearchlois.com/search/label/Alzheimer%27s>
will give you both links and a brief summary of what I did this past
summer.  I enjoyed the work immensely, but had to keep the particulars
confidential when posting.  If you look at the resources and would like
still more information and training, I'd be happy to work with you or
anyone wanting to offer what I call Elder Stories.

The personality of the leader may make a difference in how well such
programs work.  Keep it fun and a social event, rather than
therapeutic!  I would very much like to do more of this type of program
which encourages communication in people with Dementia.  It uses what
the participants _see_ in developing stories, rather than memory.  It
also tends to open the minds of their caregivers in what still is possible.
LoiS(eeing the Baby Boom aging, this is an area of Outreach that will be
growing)

--
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Website:<http://www.LoiS-sez.com>, Blog:<http://www.StorytellingResearchLoiS.com>,

* Storyteller in MI Arts and Humanities Directory
<http://www.michiganhumanities.org/programs/touring/Storyteller/#/18>
* In Historical Society of Michigan Directory
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-musicians/storyteller-lois-sprengnether-keel/>
* State Liaison for National Storytelling Network and Board Member of Youth, Educators, Storytellers Alliance (YES!)
* Webmaster for<http://www.MichiganStorytelling.org>