[Michlib-l] Rural Libraries Conference

Jill Baker southofnormal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:06:04 EDT 2014

I'm not going to the conference, but I am spending this weekend on Mackinac
Island, so I have been watching the situation closely.  The good news is
that it looks like it is going to be in the forties up there all week with
some rain, which might help with melting.  There are a couple groups on FB
that you might consider joining because people in the groups have been
following the weather and the ice conditions very carefully. One is
Mackinac Island News and Views and the other is I Love St. Ignace.  People
posting to those groups are primarily locals so they know what's going on.
If all else fails, there's always the plane from St. Ignace.  :-)  Good
luck!

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Nannette Miller <erdl at elkrapidsnet.com>wrote:

> Hi,  We are curious if others are deciding not to attend the conference
> because of the dicey conditions.  This is a video of the *Sacre Bleu*,
> the only boat Shepler’s has running, leaving St. Ignace yesterday.
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154104350790217&set=vb.199146720216&type=2&theater
>

> I called Shepler’s this morning to ask how 150 people would fit on this
> boat.  They hope to be able to put buses and vans on the deck and fill them
> with people, but they aren’t sure they will be able to because yesterday
> ice was coming over the bow.  Getting there is only our first concern.
> With a shift in the wind it could jam up again and we could be stranded on
> the island.  Ferry service is still subject to cancellation.
>

> Are we the only chickens?
>

> Nannette Miller
>
> Elk Rapids District Library

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be
in silence. - Max Ehrmann