[Michlib-l] Library Student

Michelle Sawicki sawickim at cooley.edu
Mon Feb 10 10:40:26 EST 2014

I am finishing up the Web Design/Information Management Certificate at
Wayne State this semester. When I am done I will have a basic understanding
of html, css, php, java script and some other scripting languages. I think
it is fabulous to obtain these skills, but I am not sure how practical they
will be in my upcoming positions. What Wayne State focuses on is the actual
coding itself. If I were to create a library website by hand/scratch, this
would be an invaluable skill. However, every library I have worked at has
used an editor to create their website. There really isn't a need to keep
reinventing the wheel. So I am guessing I will ultimately be using an
editor too some day, if web design is a part of my future job at all. I am
glad I learned scripting languages though...but how relevant will it be for
my job and how long will the skills I have learned remain relevant? I don't
know...

Michelle Sawicki
Circulation Team Leader
Thomas M. Cooley Law School