[Michlib-l] Library Student

Kate Van Auken kvanauken at rawson.lib.mi.us
Mon Feb 10 10:58:56 EST 2014

Just my two cents, but for smaller libraries (probably specialty libraries, too) we do our own website in house.  We really can't afford to have a web designer do it.  Have coding knowledge has helped us tremendously especially with embedding links for example.  To be able to change our website in an instant is also a great advantage rather than having to wait for someone else to do it.  Again, just my two cents!

Kate Van Auken, Director
Rawson Memorial Library
6495 Pine Street
Cass City, MI  48726
989-872-2856

>>> Michelle Sawicki <sawickim at cooley.edu> 2/10/2014 10:40 AM >>>
I am finishing up the Web Design/Information Management Certificate at Wayne State this semester. When I am done I will have a basic understanding of html, css, php, java script and some other scripting languages. I think it is fabulous to obtain these skills, but I am not sure how practical they will be in my upcoming positions. What Wayne State focuses on is the actual coding itself. If I were to create a library website by hand/scratch, this would be an invaluable skill. However, every library I have worked at has used an editor to create their website. There really isn't a need to keep reinventing the wheel. So I am guessing I will ultimately be using an editor too some day, if web design is a part of my future job at all. I am glad I learned scripting languages though...but how relevant will it be for my job and how long will the skills I have learned remain relevant? I don't know...

Michelle Sawicki
Circulation Team Leader
Thomas M. Cooley Law School
3475 Plymouth Road