[Michlib-l] Question about Parents with Fines Signing for Child's Card

Sanilac District Library sanilacdistrictlibrary at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 12:37:41 EST 2014

We have the same problem. Our library does not issue a card unless the signing parent has a "clean" record.

However, we do want to encourage library use and realize that life happens.

If the person is willing to set up a payment schedule, we allow them and their child to borrow 2 items at a time as long as they honor their agreement.  They decide the frequency and amount. We have a form for the patron to sign.
Currently, we have several situations like this. One is paying $5 per week, another $1. It will take months, but at least they are trying. We have had more positive results than negative.

I did not inform the patrons of this but after the half-way mark has been reached, I will consider forgiving the remaining overdue fine as long as all material replacement costs have been paid.  This would be a one-time deal.

 Sometimes, a person will just leave and not even try to not take care of their fine. Often, the other parent will  sign for the child. And usually, continue to be irresponsible.

Our policy also stipulates that a person may only use their own card and must be present at time of use.  This was implemented as a result of losing many materials and patrons racking up huge fines one card at a time until all family members are blocked. There are some exceptions such as homebound users.

Beverly Dear, Director
Sanilac District Library
7130 Main Street
PO Box 525
Port Sanilac, MI 48469
Phone: 810.622.8623
FAX: 810.622.9041
Website:sanilacdistrictlibrary.lib.mi.us

My board thinks it might be a good idea to not give library cards to children if their parents have fines.  (Or at least not let the parent with fines be the one who signs for the card.)