[Michlib-l] MLA group structure proposal

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at wayne.edu
Fri May 30 09:01:53 EDT 2014

I am fairly involved in MLA and was at onetime involved in the communities of practice. I honestly didn't realize that any of them were/are still active. It seems like we had a trial year for CoPs and then I thought we moved on, i.e. I thought they all kind of ended. So, from that perspective, although I thought CoPs would be great I have not seen them as engaging to the membership; maybe others have continued to be involved in this way.

CoPs aside, I really like the new committee and work group structures and have appreciated the annual call to volunteer for these groups. I have found this a great way to be involved in the work of the organization and to have leadership opportunities. I also enjoy the professional development and achievement opportunities with training, workshops, and conference presentation opportunities.

I would like a forthcoming work group or task force to examine if there are enough service and presentation opportunities for all of the membership that is interested. I would also like them to examine a new or revived way for fostering community (membership) engagement.

-Steve

Steven K. Bowers
Executive Director
Detroit Area Library Network
1.313.577.6789
www.dalnet.org

DALNET is a community of libraries working together to provide access to information for research, cultural enrichment, and lifelong learning opportunities.