[Michlib-l] A Tale of Two (Separate) Programs: Michigan Activity Pass (MAP) AND Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Sat May 31 11:03:26 EDT 2014

All,

In the last several weeks I've gotten numerous calls/emails from librarians (and from public library patrons, too), asking if the MAP and Mi Big Green Gym programs are one in the same. Or if MAP is the new, online version of Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read. Or...

I was thinking about this on this beautiful Saturday morning, so before I get into the Saturday routine of chasing the lawnmower around the yard, re-filling the goldfinch and hummingbird feeders, etc and most importantly, before I forget about both (not the hummingbirds and goldfinches but rather, MAP and Mi Big Green Gym) before Monday morning work inevitably rolls around again, I thought I'd take a minute to address this.

The Michigan Activity Pass (MAP) and Mi Big Green Gyms/Park and Read programs are NOT one in the same. Both programs do share a common theme, that being to enhance the quality of life of your public library patrons, which in turn serves to raise awareness of, interest in not to mention support of, public libraries. From there, the programs differ. Here is a brief description as to how:

Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read is a partnership between Michigan Recreation and Park Association, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, and Michigan Department of Natural Resources. The program is managed by Maia Turek at the DNR, email turekm at michigan.gov The program website is available at this link

http://www.mrpaonline.org/Programs/MI-Big-Green-Gym#.U4nieihZjqc

and the list of participating libraries can be seen by clicking this pdf

http://www.mrpaonline.org/Portals/0/Big%20Green%20Gym/2014%20MBGG%20Participating%20Libraries.pdf

In a nutshell, Mi Big Green Gym offers free passes through public libraries to nearly 100 state parks, with a program end date of September 30, 2014. The print material for the program, circulation cards, passes and the like, is shipped directly to libraries by the DNR. Your internal management practices for Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read may differ, but we advise TLN member libraries to barcode the circulation cards, and check them out as with any other item. At checkout the patron is given the actual pass (not the circ card, although those have a tendency to grow legs/wings in libraries, too) to take with them to the park. The card that was checked out is set aside for a period of seven days, after which it is placed back into circulation. There is no expiration date, although the program itself ends September 30, 2014. This rotation ensures that your supply of Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read passes will last until the program ends on September 30, 2014.

I'll not pontificate about MAP today, having done so plenty enough already, other than to say that the Michigan Activity Pass is available at http://michiganactivitypass.info, and that MAP is a year round program which will run through May 23, 2015, and that it is an online program so patrons do all the work themselves, and that it offers 109 cultural partners, and that it is managed by The Library Network and that it receives some of its financial support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services via the Library of Michigan. Etc.

The easiest question to answer is one posed to me by a public library last week: given a choice, which program should I make available to my patrons? My answer: Both! These are two worthy and worthwhile public library programs, and as such both should be given the publicity and promotion they deserve.

Remember, for Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read questions, or if your library is not included in the list of participating libraries, or if it is and you've yet to receive your materials, please contact Maia Turek at turekm at michigan.gov

For MAP questions, well, based on the many posts to this listserv, you know who to contact.

Off to the goldfinches and hummingbirds. Did you know that hummingbirds actually make noise? I didn't know this until we encountered a huge number of them at a place where we were staying in Glacier National Park a few years ago. The Montana hummingbirds were "squeaking" quite boisterously, dive-bombing each other, etc all in an effort to drive the competition away from the feeder. The hummingbirds that call our yard home seem more mellow, although I can't/won't make any guarantees regarding said civility if I don't attend to the feeders pretty soon...

Thank you for your continued support and promotion of BOTH, the Michigan Activity Pass (MAP) and Mi Big Green Gym/Park and Read, programs.

Sincerely,

Jim Flury

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager