[Michlib-l] Reminder: Letters about Literature program

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Wed Nov 12 10:55:19 EST 2014

The Letters about Literature program deadlines are coming up (Dec. 15th for Level III and Jan. 15th for Level I and II). We hope to have your teen and tween patrons participate!

The Library of Michigan is announcing the 2015 Letters about Literature<http://www.read.gov/letters/> program. We are the Michigan host for this national program from the Library of Congress. It is reading-writing contest that invites readers in grades 4 through 12 to write letters to authors of books that have changed their lives. This program gives students the opportunity to reflect deeply on a book. As readers, they come to understand how literature is more than assignment, but also a life changing experience. Children and teens can participate on their own or as part of a library or class project.

We have posted an explanatory letter and a sample entry form at www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices/<http://www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices/>. The 2015 letters will be due in two waves. Level III entries  (grades (9-12) have a deadline of December 15, 2014 and Level I and II entries (grades 4-6 and 7-8) have a deadline of January 15, 2015. The state and national winners will be announced in May 2015. You can find more information about the national program at www.read.gov/letters/<http://www.read.gov/letters/> and the Michigan program at www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices<http://www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices>. Please find the 2015 letter and entry form at the direct links below.

Program Letter - http://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/lm_LAL_2015_promo_letter_467559_7.pdf
Program Guidelines and Entry Form - http://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/lm_LAL_2015_Guidelines_467558_7.pdf

If you have any questions about the program, please contact me. We look forward to reading your student and patron letters!

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-241-0021