[Michlib-l] SLA Michigan Chapter holiday party

Randy Dykhuis DykhuisR at mcls.org
Wed Nov 12 12:26:08 EST 2014

I'd like to invite you to join the SLA Michigan Chapter for its annual
holiday luncheon at The Dearborn Inn on Saturday December 6. This year we
are excited to welcome J.P. Porcaro as our keynote speaker. J.P. is well
known for his library advocacy efforts. He was named one of Library
Journal's Movers & Shakers in 2012 and is currently running for ALA
president. In addition to J.P.'s talk, we will have a delicious
Mediterranean buffet and a fabulous silent auction. Please come spend a
Saturday afternoon with us.

Date:  Saturday, December 6, 2014

Time: 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Registration opens at 11:30 with lunch served
at 11:45. Keynote speaker, business meeting, and silent auction will
follow lunch. Proceeds from the Silent Auction will help send a current
library & information science student to SLA Annual Conference in 2015.

Place:
The Dearborn Inn
20301 Oakwood Boulevard
Dearborn  Michigan  48124

Registration: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MS23CMW
RSVP by December 1, 2014

Cost:
$25 SLA members
$25 students
$35 non-SLA members

Payment: Payment accepted via credit card through PayPal or by check at
the event. To pay with credit card, go to the website and click on the
PayPal button: http://bit.ly/1x897zz

Making It Happen Where You Are
Keynote speaker: JP Porcaro
Leadership isn’t about a job title. It’s about attitude, character, and
perspective. Libraries are places to foster community success, and that
success starts with us. We all have the capacity to bring change to our
personal and professional lives and our social circles by using techniques
that effective leaders use. Join JP Porcaro in this presentation on
bringing a Make It Happen attitude to our clients, coworkers, and personal
friends through emotional intelligence.

Bio:
JP Porcaro is Head Librarian for Acquisitions and Technological Discovery
at the New Jersey City University Guarini Library, and is a candidate for
the 2016-17 presidency of the American Library Association. JP was the
organizer and founding president of the ALA Games & Gaming Round Table
(GameRT) and the ALA Comic Book & Graphic Novel Member Interest group. JP
was an ALA Emerging Leader in 2010 and was named a Library Journal Mover &
Shaker in 2012.  He is a founding member of the ALA Think Tank, social
media’s largest space for librarians. JP is also a member of the Advisory
Board of the EveryLibrary political action committee, the Social Organizer
for Urban Librarians Unite, and an administrator for the Librarian
Wardrobe blog. Learn more about JP at his website: http://jpporcaro.com>

This year's Michigan Chapter holiday event is generously sponsored by
Frost & Sullivan and Automotive World.

No-Show Policy: In December 2007, the SLA Michigan Chapter Board
instituted a no-show policy. If an attendee RSVPs and indicates they will
pay at the door, and then does not attend the meeting, that attendee will
be billed for and responsible for the cost. Attendees will have up to 72
hours (three days) prior to a meeting to cancel via phone, e-mail or in
writing (unless otherwise noted). In the case of personal emergencies,
requests for exceptions will be reviewed by the board.

No Cash Policy: In December 2007, the SLA Michigan Chapter Board
instituted a no cash policy. Attendees may pay via PayPal. When paying at
the door, attendees are requested to use checks or money orders, but not
cash. This change is to a) eliminate the need for those who check-in
attendees at the meetings from having to make change, and b) avoid a
program committee member carrying cash after a meeting.