[Michlib-l] Youth Librarian posting for Cromaine District Library - 2014 Winner of State Librarian's Citation of Excellence!

Ceci Marlow cmarlow at cromaine.org
Tue Oct 28 15:39:28 EDT 2014

Michigan’s New Economy is around the corner and we’re part of what is
making it happen—a terrific training ground and a great place to be a
proactive leader, not waiting for the next “axe to fall.” Are you ready
to guide the journey of the mind for a three-year-old? Is it in your
heart and soul to be the inspirer of a 12-year-old? Do you “get it” when
a teen discovers a topic to be passionate about and needs more and more
reading, web sites, and, well, just everything about “it”? Then we need
you to be our next 20-hour Youth Librarian, specializing in preschool
story and other experiences (we’re big on science and art!) and
collection development for youth fiction in particular.

Cromaine District Library is located near the intersection of M-59 and
US-23—easy to get to from Detroit, Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Flint.
Cromaine-Village (built in 1927 and expanded in 1980) is the main
library with the largest collection and programming space, but we also
offer a popular collection and events at the Crossroads
Branch,established 2005.

Cromaine wins grants, including National Endowment for the Arts’ The Big
Read-seven years now. Our 2015 read of “Old School" includes local
schools, writing contests for teens and adults (which the past two years
resulted in published anthologies of writing and illustration). In 2011
we received a $16,000 grant from the PNC Foundation to create an early
literacy center made up of four AWE machines. Grant work is going out to
bring 3D printing to our library plus two teen-centric facilities in the
community. And we offer a tech sandbox at each of our adult, youth, and
Crossroads service desks. We’ve hosted the Smithsonian’s “The Way We
Worked” exhibit, the National Science Foundation’s Harry Potter and the
History of Science exhibit, Prime Time Family Reading Time, a
demonstration site for the new middle school book discussion group,
Muslim Journeys, and a Dollar General grant that links
end-of-school-year reading scores for boys with beginning-of-school year
reading scores to demonstrate the value of interactive summer reading
groups specifically for the 8- to 12-year-old.

Cromaine’s first shared value is “Investing in Future Generations.”
Bring your commitment to innovative learning experiences for children,
tweens, and teens to Cromaine where we create an “aha experience” every
day. Read our online annual reports to see the positive patron
experiences being created every day at Cromaine. Share your love of
children with a community that loves Cromaine.

$17.20 per hour to start, 20 hours per week; includes some evenings and
weekends. MLA membership and conference attendance paid. After
successful completion of the 90-day introductory period, an increase to
$17.95 is planned.

View the job description and obtain the application at
www.cromaine.org--Cromaine News & Info--Forms, and send application,
resume with MLS classes in youth services, and a cover letter to “Youth
Librarian” at Cromaine or e-mail (preferred to be “green”) to
brentola at cromaine.org <mailto:brentola at cromaine.org> by November 10, 2014.

*CROMAINE DISTRICT LIBRARY*

*Hartland**, Michigan***

*Youth Librarian*

*REPORTS TO:*Adult & Youth Manager

*JOB SUMMARY:*Provides services to young people, including children,
tweens, and teens, their caregivers, teachers, and adults who work with
them, helps patrons to use the library effectively and assists with
collection development and library programs for young people.

/An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the
following essential functions.These examples do not include all of the
duties which the employee may be expected to perform.To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
function satisfactorily./

//

*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
/Essential Job Functions/*

*R**eference & Reader’s Advisory*

Provide effective, positive, and personalized reference and reader’s
advisory services in person, by telephone, and e-mail, using traditional
resources and electronic databases.

Conduct efficient reference interviews to determine information need and
best sources to use.

Move through the youth and teen areas regularly to check with patrons
regarding their information needs.

Provide assistance and instruction to the public on the use of the
library, its materials, electronic information sources, and the computer
catalog.

Assist library users with electronic information sources and the
computer catalog.

Initiate ILL requests as necessary.

*Collection development*

Select and order materials based on reviews, catalogs, recommendations
and patron requests.

Preview new materials being added to the collection in order to know
what is available and provide it quickly to the patron.

Evaluate collection in assigned areas regularly for development or weeding.

Catalog, or enhance cataloging (e.g. lexiles, subjects), materials as
needed.

Compile bibliographies, path finders, files and reports in print or
electronically, participating in social media expression.

*Library Events & Public Relations*

Assist with arrangements and publicity for events, exhibits, displays,
and other activities of community interest.

Prepare and conduct story time and other experiences on-site and in
schools, homes, and other outreach settings.

Assist with seasonal newsletter and other forms of communication to the
community. Promote the library through tours and outreach activities.

*Computer*

Keep up to date with new technology and ways of accessing information.

Perform basic hardware troubleshooting in order to resolve equipment
problems as quickly as possible.

*Other*

Maintain statistics on reference service use and program attendance.

Act as back-up for the Adult Services Department and other departments,
including Circulation, as needed.

Participate in professional meetings and continuing education activities.

Stay current with changes in reference services through continuing
education, reading professional journals and networking through
professional associations and colleagues.

Other duties as assigned.

*MINIMUM__QUALIFICATIONS
*/The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the
essential functions of the position./

*Education, certification and training*

Masters degree in Library Science, or 30 credit hours toward the degree,
from an ALA accredited library school.

Professional Librarian’s certificate from the Library of Michigan.

Library experience desirable.

*Skills and abilities*

Genuine interest in providing superior public service.

Ability to achieve and maintain cooperative and effective relations with
members of the general public and with other employees.

Solid knowledge of popular reading materials, reference tools, and
electronic resources.

Ability to select appropriate reading materials for the children and
teen collections.

Ability to present programs for young people and their families and
prepare library exhibits.

Ability to work independently and take initiative.

Ability to use word processing, spread sheet and database programs.

Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.

*Physical abilities*

Ability to lift and safely carry 25 lbs.

Able to move throughout the library.

Ability to reach, bend, grasp, push and pull

Able to discern audible tones at both ends of spectrum; full near,
distance, color, and peripheral vision, acceptable with correction.

*Other*

Flexibility in scheduling, including the ability to work evenings and
weekends.

/The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum
skill and experience levels associated with performing the duties and
responsibilities contained in this job description.The qualifications
should not be viewed as an expression of absolute employment or
promotional standards but as general guidelines and should be considered
along with other job related selection or promotional criteria./

*__*

*PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT*

While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to talk or hear, and occasionally required to travel to other
locations.The employee is frequently required to sit,stand, walk, reach
with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and stoop,
kneel, or crouch.The employee regularly must lift and/or move moderately
heavy objects.Specific vision requirement of the job include near
vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.

/The physical demands and work environment characteristics described
above are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential function of the job./

Adopted 8/98; rev. 12/01, 10/02, 6/09, 6/12//