[Michlib-l] torrenting wireless policies/suggestions?

Ms. TJ Smith shermandirector at winntel.net
Thu Apr 9 10:40:27 EDT 2015

We have been seeing a large increase in internet traffic and our wireless setup is simply not holding up. A particular problem is patrons using our wireless for torrents. Do any of you have policies in place regarding a limit on high-bandwidth activities? It is frustrating for our other patrons, many of whom are using the connection for schooling and business purposes, not to mention the staff trying to use VERSO.

We currently have 6MB service through our provider (the highest package offered in our area) connected to an old router and switch. We have 5 public computers, one catalog computer, and one staff station all direct-wired through the switch and at any given time 2-10 wireless devices attached. Our current router is a Netgear N300 WNR2000v2. We're looking to upgrade and add a wireless access point to allow us better control, but that does not make our current situation any easier to handle.

I've been setting the lowest priority QoS for the torrent users when possible to try to make the connection usable by other patrons. Does anyone have any tips on how we can better get by in the meantime?

Ms. TJ Smith

Library Director

Sherman Township Library

shermandirector at winntel.net