[Michlib-l] torrenting wireless policies/suggestions?

Eric Hayes eric at ropl.org
Thu Apr 9 11:09:33 EDT 2015

TJ,

I highly recommend getting an Open-Mesh access point.
<http://www.open-mesh.com/products/access-points.html> They are comparable
to the very popular Meraki access points, but are MUCH cheaper. $100 an
access point versus $300. Open-Mesh also doesn't require an annual license
fee.

It is very easy to setup. Just plug it in to your switch and visit your
provided CloudTrax.com account to add the access point to your network. If
you wish to deploy more for expanded coverage, you don't have to plug each
one in to the switch. You can just plug them in to a power outlet and they
act as a repeater.

There are many security and bandwidth settings in the CloudTrax.com account:

   - You can have two networks (staff and public)
      - Password protect the staff
      - Splash screen for the public (accept library policy)
   - Redirect users to a custom URL
   - Limit the bandwidth for all connected devices
   - You can block devices that are abusing the network
   - You can block connected devices from seeing devices on your wired
   network
   - You can block connected devices from seeing other connected devices
   - The access point(s) upgrade firmware automatically

I'd be happy to answer more questions.

Eric Hayes
IT Coordinator | Webmaster
Royal Oak Public Library