[Michlib-l] Question re: patron privacy within the library building - no results

Ostrom, Kriss kriss at mail.lib.msu.edu
Wed Apr 22 21:04:39 EDT 2015

Teresa -

Sorry not to reply.

Our procedure is to tell the caller that  we cannot page unless the situation is critical enough that our campus police are willing to come walk the building to look for the person. We refer the caller to our campus police.

Sadly, the police usually call us back without any understanding and ask us to do the page.  At this point, my staffer calls me at home and I call the police to explain again that we will only do that IF the police will come walk the building (10 floors in two wings) to look for the person.

Once I am convinced that the campus police understand our policy and if they then ask us to do a PA announcement, we will.

So I am telling you that our policy is virtually never understood by our campus police (in spite of many many meetings), so I need to get involved every time.

Thanks for bringing up the privacy concern.  I am ASTONISHED that in all these years, I had never thought about that!!  I will ponder that aspect now.

  -- Kriss
Kriss Ostrom, Head, Circulation Services (23)
Michigan State University Libraries
366 W. Circle Dr
East Lansing, MI 48824

517.884.1943      FAX  517.355.5005