[Michlib-l] Collections and Prosecution Policies

Myla Stuart stuartmyla at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:10:52 EDT 2015

Collections and Prosecution Policies:

Our board is interested in hearing from other libraries on how they handle
overdues, collection agencies and prosecution issues.

1) Does anyone pursue prosecution (warrants)  to get materials back, or
fines paid?  If so,can you tell me your procedure, dollar amount you start
at, and any feedback on using this approach (suggested by our lawyer).

2) How do you handle bankruptcies?  We seem to be getting more of them
lately.  I know we have to write off the material charges, but does this
include fines?  Do you continue to block the patron from checking out
materials or using the computer, even though they have no way of "clearing"
their account since they cannot be held responsible for the items? If so do
you have a time limit (statute of limitations) on how long the ban would be
in effect?

3) If using a collection agency, what dollar amount did you choose?  We
send patrons who have materials and fines over $25.00.  If they do not have
materials out we just block their card.

Any information or thoughts  you can share will be appreciated.  You can
email me off list:

mylastuart at yahoo.com

Thanks in advance from our board and me.

Myla

--
*Myla-Jean Stuart, Director*

Comstock Township Library