[Michlib-l] library as a comfort station

Lisa Waskin lisaw at uproc.lib.mi.us
Wed Dec 30 14:20:51 EST 2015

Perri,

I was working on this exact same thing after the recent outages here at
Christmas.  Normally we would be open, but of course, it happened on the two
days we were closed for the holiday.  I would like to implement something in
the future that would at least open up our community room and public
restrooms (they are separate from the main library), and have it be a place
like you said, to charge phones, warm up, get some water.  I am thinking we
could set up the laptops in there for people who don't have their own
technology as well.  Also, we have a strong Friends group that may be able
to provide some snacks, or perhaps local businesses could be set up ahead of
time for emergency situations.  I would like to develop an entire protocol
and playbook for future emergencies too.  I am thinking this might be a huge
opportunity to set up a network across the state of resources between
libraries as well.  Perhaps there is even grant money in something like
this?

Anyway, let me know if you get any good advice from someone that may already
be doing this.

Thank you,

Lisa

Lisa Poignant Waskin