[Michlib-l] Local Author Collection

Jessica Enget jenget at portagelibrary.info
Fri Jan 16 13:53:37 EST 2015

We are exploring putting together a separate special collection of Local Author books for our library, and are trying to develop workable criterion for its collection development policy.

Do you have a "Local Author" collection, or how do you handle books by local authors?
What are your policies on donations vs purchase, reviewed or not reviewed?
Do you separate, or integrate (but mark in some way with a special spine label)?
How do you define local? By your city? County? Region? Or State?
Do they need to be currently residing, or are "formerly but originally a resident of" ok?

Thank you in advance for your time and feedback!
Jessica L. Enget
Library Associate, Adult Services
Portage District Library
300 Library Lane