[Michlib-l] BedTime Math

Andy Schuck andy.schuck at westlandlibrary.org
Thu Jan 22 14:14:10 EST 2015

Thanks to everyone who responded re: my question about BedTime Math. I've compiled the results below.

BedTime Math no longer allows the program to be run during the summer months since much of the program is cumulative and there were a lot of absences with vacations, etc. We are going to begin hosting ours in the fall. Best,

Andy
------------
Andy Schuck
Head of Youth Services
William P. Faust Public Library of Westland
6123 Central City Parkway
Westland, MI 48185
734-326-6123, ext. 2844
www.westlandlibrary.org

Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing * Playing

If anyone happens to be going to ALA Midwinter, BedTime Math will be one of the exhibitors.  I will be going and plan to stop by their booth.  Personally, and from what I can tell so far, I think their program is a good way for libraries to contributing to the STEM effort in K-12.

Deb

Deb Biggs Thomas
Michigan eLibrary & Outreach Coordinator
Library of Michigan
---------------------------
517-373-4466
biggsthomasd at michigan.gov<mailto:biggsthomasd at michigan.gov>
http://mel.org    http://facebook.com/mel.org

Andy,

We are trying the Crazy 8 program from BedTime Math this summer.  I have the materials and I am impressed with what I see.  I don't know how it will go over mainly because of the 8 week requirement.  I expect kids to miss one or two over the 8 week period due to vacations.  Because of the possible absence of kids each week it seems good that each lesson is independent of the others.

I did notice that the Crazy 8 program is now asking for the program to be scheduled during the school year and NOT over the summer.  I applied last year so they sent me the materials but I don't know if they will still allow a summer program.

Brenda Dunseth

Youth Services Department Head

Highland Township Public Library

They are partnering with the Collaborative Summer Library Program (aka Summer Reading) and we have a webinar on using the program that Bed Time Math did for us last year on the Library of Michigan web site. It is in the 2014 recordings section (down the page a bit) in the Summer Reading section at http://www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices.<http://www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices>

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
reishk at michigan.gov<mailto:reishk at michigan.gov>
517-241-0021