[Michlib-l] Summer Reading @ Your Park opportunity

Colleen Leddy ctbleddy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 23:46:20 EDT 2015

Our library took advantage of this LoM/DNR collaboration (see below) for
our Summer Reading Program kickoff event and had a great time today at the
nearby Lake Hudson State Recreation Area. The DNR planned six activities
which groups of kids rotated through during the hour and a half session.

It was excellent all around! The kids roasted marshmallows over the
campfire to make s'mores, learned about camping, practiced fishing with the
Adrian College Bass Fishing Coach, met a Conservation Officer (local hero)
who showed and explained about his boat and all the equipment he carries on
his body, learned about geocaching, and practiced archery.

It was such a nice, well-organized program. We only had 82 kids participate
and 17 VolunTeens, but with parents and other adults included we had a
total of 130 people. And, we'll be connecting with the DNR for future
programs...it was a very successful win-win-win program! I hope the DNR
offers this SRP opportunity again. I highly recommend it to other libraries
located near state parks.

I always say: when Karren Reish sends an email, pay attention because it
can really pay off!

Thanks,
Colleen

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Reish, Karren (MDE) <ReishK at michigan.gov>
wrote:

>  The Department of Natural Resources is collaborating with the Library of
> Michigan to bring outdoor recreation activities to your Summer Reading
> program. We have a brief survey for you to fill out if you are interested
> in having Summer Reading programs at your state or local parks. If you are
> interested, give us your contact information and preferred dates and you
> will be contacted in January to set up a program appropriate to your Summer
> Reading plans.
>

> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SummerReadingatYourPark
>

> The deadline to respond is the end of November. If you have any questions,
> please contact me!
>

> Karren Reish
>
> Library Grants Coordinator
>
> Library of Michigan