[Michlib-l] digital displays

Mark Ehle mehle at willardlibrary.org
Mon Nov 9 16:42:07 EST 2015

We use 42"-55" monitors (not tv's). You want to purchase one that is made
for digital signs, like:

https://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/LG-55LS35A-5B-55in-Class-54.64in-viewable-LED-display/3563679.aspx?pfm=srh

We use a little ASUS eee-pc (a really small computer) and mount them behind
the monitors. Most of the PC's are running Linux, but a couple run windows.
As far as the messaging on the screen, we run a little web page image
gallery on our web server and the screen PC's are just showing that web
page. Some monitors now days can do all of this by themselves, but if you
put a PC behind the monitor, you can also use the monitor for other uses,
like Power Point shows for guest speakers and such. The PC's are remotely
turned on by one of our servers through WOL (wake-on-lan). We've been doing
it this way for several years now and it's worked out really well.

Hope this helps -

Mark Ehle
Computer Support Librarian
Willard Library