[Michlib-l] Adult Cards

Anna Curtis amzichi at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:15:26 EDT 2015

Good Evening,

I have a situation that I am hoping to get everyone's input on.

We have a mentally disabled adult patron who has a Library card and frequently comes in alone. She is not responsible for herself, but her parents are elderly and do not accompany her. This has lead to a problem in the last couple of months as she has accrued fines on her account for late materials. While she has no problem paying the fines, her parents have been calling to argue about how she shouldn't have to pay since they didn't know she had late materials. Since she is over 18, based on our policy she is able to get a card without her guardians signature.

I would like to make it mandatory that if you are not responsible for yourself, regardless of your age, that you still have to have a parent or guardian sign the application; I'm just not sure how to go about requiring this. Has anyone else run into this issue before? What suggestions do you have?

Thank you in advance,

Anna Curtis

Director

Eaton Rapids Public Library