[Michlib-l] Quick book processing survey

Joelle Hannert jhannert at nmc.edu
Mon Sep 14 10:43:12 EDT 2015

Many thanks to everyone who completed the book processing survey.  As
promised, here is a link to the full results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UpJlggpN_uHy0jAcLZ_QTnqbOQWHZP6GxT4MUYNfRcM/edit?usp=sharing

I know there were a lot of processing issues I didn't ask about; such as
barcode placement, label locks, spine labels.  If you're interested in
these other issues, I'd recommend reading through the longer comments in
column F; many people addressed these issues in their answer to the last
question on the survey.

Here is a brief summary:

Security Strips/Tags/Etc.
61% use a security device, 37% don’t, 1% sometimes, depending on the
situation/collection.
How many stamps?
The majority of respondents (30%) stamp in 2 places.  Only 3% of libraries
reported stamping in 6 or more places.
Where are books stamped?
The most commonly reported place to stamp books was the top of book block,
followed by title page.
What information is on the stamp?
Most libraries reported that library name and address is included on the
stamp.  Most academic libraries (73%) also include the name of the
College/University on the stamp.  Not many libraries (less than 10%)
reported extra information on the stamp, such as website, logo, or email
address.

I created an informal document of highlights for sharing the results with
others in my library.  All answers are represented in the summary, but
there is a more detailed focus on academic libraries.  Here is a link to
that document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fg8udon19NX-TXkmfgo0M21vv9w8ZCwyqdXqxj8gjpE/edit?usp=sharing

--
Joelle Hannert