[Michlib-l] Summer Reading: how to count unpublished stories

Laura Orlowski camden at monroe.lib.mi.us
Thu Jun 16 15:06:55 EDT 2016

Hi all;

In an attempt to keep our patrons (especially teens) into reading this
summer, we are allowing all formats of reading (books, magazines, ebooks,
audiobooks, etc.).  Because we are allowing so many different formats to be
used, we chose to go with page counts for all ages (seems to be the fairest
way to track).  For online ebooks and audiobooks, we typically use the
standard hardcover page count for those titles.

One of my teen patrons asked if they could count a book they are reading
online that is from a site for writers to "self publish".  Since these
titles do not have a page count available, any suggestions as to how we can
count these stories?  I don't want to tell our readers that they can't use
these titles - the whole point of summer reading is to get
kids/teens/adults reading for the fun of it.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Laura Orlowski, director
Camden Twp. Library
camden at monroe.lib.mi.us