[Michlib-l] Children's Library Cards

Mary Beth Reasoner mbreasoner at tecumsehlibrary.org
Wed Jun 22 15:52:23 EDT 2016

Dear All -

At this morning's Staff Meeting at Tecumseh District Library, we had a rousing discussion about when a child should be eligible to receive a library card.  This discussion covered the age/grade/ability to write their names aspects and then progressed into talking about our frustrations in dealing with parents whose cards are blocked due to fines and long overdue materials who then open up a card in their young child's name so they (the adults) can still check out books and have access to our computers.  (So yes, there are really two issues here.)

Our current policy is that a child can receive a TDL library card at any age.  The Registration Card is filled out and signed by the parent or legal guardian.  They then sign a Release Form that emphasizes it is their responsibility to keep the card in good standing and allows them access to the child's borrowing record.

As stated on our website:

Cards for Minors
Youths under the age of 18 will be issued their own Resident or Non-Resident library card when the parent or guardian signs a registration form and assumes all financial obligation.

Access to the youth's borrowing record will be provided only if a release form is signed by the parent or guardian.

A parent or guardian has to be present with the minor at the time of pick-up to sign the card and the Release Form. They must present a valid proof of residence.

I agree with our current policy (no age limit, no grade limit, no can-they-write-their-name limit) because it allows equal access to all children within our service area (and I am aware of the Library Bill of Rights for Minors which I will share with the staff), but the group had several strong differing opinions.   So I promised my Director and colleagues that I would request feedback from other libraries via Michlib-l so we could review a range of different policies.  So, here goes!

What is your library's policy concerning issuing library cards to minors and what is the reasoning or rationale behind that policy?

Thank you for your time and assistance as we seek to compare different policies.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth Reasoner
Children's Services Librarian
Tecumseh District Library

mbreasoner at tecumsehlibrary.org<http://mbreasoner@tecumsehlibrary.org><mailto:mbreasoner at gmail.com>
www.tecumsehlibrary.org<http://www.tecumsehlibrary.org/>

215 North Ottawa Street
Tecumseh, MI  49286-1564

517-423-2238
517-423-5519 (Fax)

"Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world."     - Voltaire