[Michlib-l] Library Snapshot Day June 13-17 #MiLibSnap

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Tue May 24 12:36:58 EDT 2016

The Library of Michigan is spearheading an American Library Association (ALA) initiative this summer called Library Snapshot Day. It's a time for libraries to get out and use data to demonstrate the value and impact they have on their communities. In Michigan we're going to share this data via social media. Participation takes place during the week of June 13-17.

You can participate one day or every day, and contribute via social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest using the hashtag #MiLibSnap.

The event is scheduled after conference season and is well situated to support summer reading participation. We suggest that you pull stats out of your annual report or collect data such as door counts between now and snapshot day. The objective is to share the impact of your library on your community in eye-catching ways.

Some ideas for demonstrating that impact include: Use photos of the staff and facilities to personalize and put a face on your library; promote programming activities, outreach events, author tours, genealogy, and local history resources; and use stats such as circulation numbers or door counts to make your point. Get creative. You already know what you do best.

Check out the tools below for creating great visuals.

Word cloud tools:

  *   Wordle<http://www.wordle.net/>
  *   Tagul<https://tagul.com/>
  *   Word It Ou<http://worditout.com/>t
  *   PowerPoint add-in

Infographic tools:

  *   Inkscape<https://inkscape.org/en/>
  *   Piktochart<http://piktochart.com/>
  *   Venngage<https://venngage.com/>
  *   Canva<https://www.canva.com/>
  *   Easel.ly<http://www.easel.ly/>

Data visualization tools:

  *   Gapminder<http://www.gapminder.org/>
  *   Tableau<https://public.tableau.com/s/>
  *   Google Public Data<http://www.google.com/publicdata/directory>
  *   Infogr.am<https://infogr.am/app/#/create>

Please tag your posts with #MiLibSnap and we look forward to seeing your great posts on social media.

Sonya Schryer Norris
Library Consultant
Library of Michigan

702 W. Kalamazoo St.
P.O. Box 30007
Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-4457
Fax: 517-373-5700

Check out the curated content on the LM homepage including state and national CE offerings, LM events, stats reports, headlines from around the library world and intriguing snapshots of our varied collections at http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan

http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>
http://michlibrary.org<http://michlibrary.org/>

Our collective efforts can help make Michigan a Top 10 education state in 10 years!  Here are the goals and strategies: http://mi.gov/top10in10/

[cid:image001.png at 01D1A46B.DA1302F0]