[Michlib-l] complaints about Halloween at libraries?

Carol DeBoer carol.53.deboer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 11:41:03 EDT 2016

Hi Angela,

I agree with your patrons they don't want their children exposed to this
subject matter, BUT, I also feel that those who like it and would attend
this kind of storytime/event should be able to do it. Could you have a
separate event for those who might object? I know that would be double
planning, and these people can choose not to come to the other. Just a
thought.

Carol
speaking of my own personal bias these comments do not reflect the
library's.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Ojibwa Community Library <oclib at up.net>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Has anybody ever had a patron, or group of patrons, who have complained or
> challenged the library about a Halloween themed event? I am currently
> planning a small Halloween themed story time and craft event here. However,
> I have a group of patrons, who have mentioned that their children are not
> allowed to read some of the fantasy books we have in the library because
> they are encouraging thoughts about ghosts, magic, and the supernatural.
> While they have not challenged the books, I am concerned that they might
> complain or challenge the event. I was just wondering if any other
> libraries have had this come up.
>

> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Thank you!
>
> Angela Badke