[Michlib-l] Geocaching...

Colleen McWhinnie Colleen.McWhinnie at FarmLib.org
Wed Apr 12 14:52:45 EDT 2017

We are doing a Geocaching 101 program this summer with a local geocache group. We have a geocache inside one of our buildings, and just outside our other building.
The program itself will be a very basic intro; what is geocaching, how can you start, what do you need, and so on. Then I’m hoping we’ll have time to have them demonstrate a hunt to our indoor cache. I’m also hoping to find cute little library related trinkets that we can give out to the patrons attending that they could then use to go out and hide in caches they might find.
I found my contact by going to the site below and looking for local events and who was organizing them. I then sent them a message on the site letting them know what I was hoping to do.
https://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=23
I did have to create an account to access certain features of the site, but it was free and worth it since it worked out for us, but keep that in mind.

Good luck!!
Colleen McWhinnie
Farmington Community Library
32737 West Twelve Mile Road
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
(248) 848-4317
Colleen.McWhinnie at farmlib.org

From: michlib-l-bounces at mcls.org [mailto:michlib-l-bounces at mcls.org] On Behalf Of Vickie Weyand
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:42 PM
To: G Nartker <gnartker at sandusky.lib.mi.us>
Cc: michlib-l at mcls.org
Subject: Re: [Michlib-l] Geocaching...

We have done this as a familyand it was lots of fun. I would like to know how libraries have made events
out of geocaching too!

Vickie Weyand
Outreach Librarian
Brighton District Library
vweyand at brightonlibrary.info<mailto:vweyand at brightonlibrary.info>

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:53 AM, G Nartker <gnartker at sandusky.lib.mi.us<mailto:gnartker at sandusky.lib.mi.us>> wrote:
Hello Michigan libraries!

I have become interested in Geocaching and wanted to ask if any libraries had any experience in setting up geocache sites and/or creating events around them. I thought it would be a great fit for this year's summer reading theme and would love any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Gail Nartker, Director
Sandusky District Library
http://sandusky.lib.mi.us