[Michlib-l] FW: summer learning grants, leadership e-course, best YA lit & more from YALSA

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Thu Dec 28 13:37:51 EST 2017

Subject: summer learning grants, leadership e-course, best YA lit & more from YALSA

Happy almost-2018!  Here's some news from YALSA that may be of interest:

LAST CHANCE: Apply by Jan. 1 for Summer Learning Grants
We're giving away 20 $1,000 grants to support libraries' efforts to reach underserved teens over the summer months, as well as another 20 $1,000 grants to support hiring teen interns over the summer.  Learn more and apply at http://summerreading.ning.com/page/summer-learning-grants

Build Your Leadership Skills

Registration is open for a new e-course from YALSA which runs from Jan. 22nd through Feb. 18th. Participants will enhance their leadership skills by exploring how best to lead one's self and delving into the basics of leading others.  The course combines reading, reflection, opportunities to test the ideas raised with colleagues and community members, and small group activities to support peer learning and leadership skill development.  Registration rates start at $130. Learn more: http://bit.ly/2pFsMfi

Libraries are for Creating!
We have everything libraries need to plan great TTW activities for March 4 - 10 at www.ala.org/teentechweek<http://www.ala.org/teentechweek>.  Join YALSA in celebrating the many ways teens can leverage technology to effect positive change in their lives and communities with the "Libraries are for Creating" theme!

Best YA Literature of 2017
Last month YALSA announced the finalists for our Morris Award<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/morris-award>, a debut award for YA literature and our YA Nonfiction Award<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/nonfiction-award>.  We also announced the final selections for our Quick Picks for Reluctant YA Readers and Amazing Audiobooks for YAs lists: http://bit.ly/2zCCe2N

Looking for Inspiration and Encouragement in 2018?
Join YALSA!  Dues in YALSA/ALA start at $63 per year, and anyone is welcome to join!  Your membership connects you with over 4,800 other passionate, creative library staff and gets you free access to: live monthly webinars, over 40 on-demand webinars, a weekly eNews, and more! Join online or contact Letitia Smith to see what discounted rates you qualify for: lsmith at ala.org<mailto:lsmith at ala.org> or 312.280.4390. For details on all the member perks, check out this free video: https://youtu.be/TaGJr5CCKXg

Upcoming YALSA Activities & Events

  *   Jan. 18, Recognizing & Addressing Implicit Bias webinar, www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning/webinar<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning/webinar>
  *   Jan. 22 - Feb. 18, leadership e-course http://bit.ly/2pFsMfi
  *   Feb. 9 - 12, ALA Midwinter Meeting, https://2018.alamidwinter.org/
  *   Feb. 12, youth media award winners announced, www.ala.org/yma<http://www.ala.org/yma>
  *   Feb. 15, a Collaborative Model for Supporting Teen Leadership webinar, www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning/webinar<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning/webinar>
  *   Mar. 4- 10, Teen Tech Week, www.ala.org/teentechweek<http://www.ala.org/teentechweek>
  *   March 8, Teen Growth & Development Webinar, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   March 22, Teen Growth & Development Twitter chat, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   April 1, deadline to apply to be the next YALSA Liaison to ALA groups, http://www.ala.org/yalsa/ala-liaison
  *   April 3, registration opens for the 2018 YA Services Symposium in Salt Lake City, UT www.ala.org/yalsa/yasymposium<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/yasymposium>
  *   April 12, Teen Read Week site launches & Teens' Top Ten nominees announced, www.ala.org/teenread<http://www.ala.org/teenread>
  *   April 12, Positive Interactions with Teens webinar, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   April 26, Positive Interactions with Teens Twitter chat, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   May 10, Creating Learning Environments for/with Teens webinar, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   May 24, Creating Learning Environments for/with Teens Twitter chat, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   June 1, deadline to apply for 2019 Midwinter Paper Presentation travel stipend, www.ala.org/yalsa/awardsandgrants/mwpaper<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/awardsandgrants/mwpaper>
  *   June 1, deadline to apply for 2018 Symposium travel stipends, www.ala.org/yalsa/yasymposium<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/yasymposium>
  *   June 14, Creating Learning Experiences for/with Teens webinar, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU
  *   June 22 - 26, ALA Annual Conference, www.ala.org/conferencesevents/annual-conference<http://www.ala.org/conferencesevents/annual-conference>
  *   June 28, Creating Learning Experiences for/with Teens Twitter chat, http://bit.ly/2kn8HYU

For more events and information, visit http://wikis.ala.org/yalsa/index.php/Calendar_of_Events

or

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yalsa@ala.org&ctz=America/Chicago&gsessionid=OK

-Beth

Beth Yoke, CAE
Executive Director
Young Adult Library Services Association
50 E. Huron St. Chicago, IL 60611
1.800.545.2433 x4391
fax: 312.280.5276
byoke at ala.org<mailto:byoke at ala.org>