[Michlib-l] CPS reporting question

Christine Hage christine.hage at rhpl.org
Tue Feb 7 14:45:41 EST 2017

Call the local police and ask for a welfare check   They will handle it.  I've called when unattended children are in the library during a school day. Called when a staff member had repeated broken bones (it was spousal abuse). They will contact family, CPS, and give rides home.

Christine Lind Hage,
Director, Rochester Hills Public Library
Councilor, United for Libraries
500 Olde Towne Road
Rochester, MI 48309
258/650-7122

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:11 PM -0500, "Kat Boyer" <librarykat.15 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,
I just had a rather distubring conversation with a patron who was telling me that his nephews called him at 1 am last night to tell him that they were home alone and in the car of a 10 year was was left with them and a 1 year old infant.  The patron told me that there were no adults in the home at the time of the call and that the mothers of the children were unreachable.
At what point are we compelled to call CPS if we hear information like this?  I am not sure if I am required to report, if I should report, or if I should encourage my patron to report this information.

Kat Boyer
Interim Director
Benton Harbor Public Library