[Michlib-l] HVAC Rant

Dave Ewick dewick at southfieldlibrary.org
Thu Feb 23 09:46:05 EST 2017

Hi All - just need to vent (pun intended)

What's up with architects refusing to put functional windows in large buildings???

We suffer for about a month each spring & fall when the seasons are changing and we cannot switch quickly from heat to cooling (and vice versa).  It was 80 degrees at 8:00 am this morning on our 3rd floor; and once the lights, computers & people add their heat it goes up, up, up!

Changing to cooling for us is a week long process, and we cannot even begin it if there's a chance of another freeze or we could lose pipes, etc.
Every fall is the opposite problem - switch too soon and it's hot again.  If we could open some windows things would level out.
I worry about the health of both staff members and patrons. Argh!

OK - end of rant - thanks for reading.  Now to drink some ice water and maybe talk a walk outside to cool off!

David L. Ewick, MLS, MS
City Librarian
Southfield Public Library
26300 Evergreen