[Michlib-l] HVAC Rant

Marty Ferriby mferriby at hackleylibrary.org
Thu Feb 23 11:02:42 EST 2017

Hi Dave --

I surely understand.  Architects sure do dumb stuff.  Listening is
not among their skills.

I think it would be worth it to install replacement windows in some
spots, now that your architect is out of the way.  I'm sure it could
be done without looking too bad.

We have just gotten AC for the first time, and we got a 4-pipe system
so that we can make quick changes to solve exactly the problem you
describe.  This is likely not doable for you.  It was a huge, huge,
huge mess and very expensive.  We also are replacing all our windows,
and we made sure to have one window in each area that will open.

Here are some handy hints for managing high temps inside the building
when it's OK outside.  We got to 95 degrees inside several days or a
week each summer.  It would be 72 outside at 8:00 am but 85 degrees
inside, and the temp just soared from there.  Like working in a
freakin' pizza oven.  We never closed due to the heat, and so here's
a ton of sympathy from HPL.  We feel your pain like few others can.

--  IBM and others say you can run PCs continuously as long as the
temp and humidity are below 90 or 95.  The people won't like it, but
don't believe your staff when they piously indicate that they should
go home because that's what's best for the computers.  We did turn
them off in banks and only ran them for 2 hours when it was really bad.

--  Some very dramatic staff will indicate that their health is
suffering from being in a hot building.  They may be right.
Everybody's body is different.  I let staff take sick time and go if
they felt they needed to, as long as we could cover the public
service desks.  "You have to do what you feel is best for your health".

--  We relaxed dress codes, and we allowed water bottles at the
service desks, and we allowed those wraps around the neck that
welders use in the summer.  You can get them at any welding supply
store, and probably elsewhere for about $2.50 each.  They look like
bandanas.  Wet them and put them in the freezer, then wear around the
neck.  They last a couple of hours and they really help.  Some staff
have several, and keep the refreezing ones in labeled plastic bags in
the staff freezer.

-- We relaxed or amended some job expectations -- i.e. the pages
didn't have to shelve on the upper floors where it was really bad in
the afternoon or evening, only in the mornings.

-- Get a lot of fans.  It's not actually cooler, but the air moving
makes staff and customers feel like you're doing something and it
does feel better.  There are big industrial fans on poles that are
used in machine shops and other industries that really move a lot of air.

-- Turn out some of the lights.  It feels better.

--  When it was really awful, I allowed extra cooling breaks in our
staff room, which had a winder air conditioner.  It helps if people
can eat lunch someplace cool.

--  Have a plan for cooling over heated customers (to prevent heat
stroke) and make sure the staff know the signs and know what to
do.  (Cool cloths, lie them down or sit them down, call 911 if
they're dry and panting because they're already in trouble, cool
water to drink, call for a ride home )  (There is an awful story
about an old man who walked into the Fremont, MI library with a coat
on in the summer, approached the reference desk, and then just
dropped like a rock.  A woman who works here now was on reference
when he died right there in the Fremont library.  This is not a story
we want to repeat.)

-- Acknowledge the situation to the customers -- signs, humor,
possibly have fans printed.  Agree with them that it's awful.

--  Sometimes I bought popsicles or ice cream bars and walked around
the whole building passing them out to staff and customers.

-- Figure out something to do to fix it.  It took us 10 years to
figure it out and raise the money, but somehow the situation needs to
be addressed.  Bring in those HVAC guys and have them figure something out.

Good Luck Dave!

And I'd seriously look into replacing a few windows.

Marty Ferriby, Director
Hackley Public Library
316 W. Webster Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49440