[Michlib-l] Helping a school library automate

Kate Van Auken kvanauken at rawsonlibrary.org
Fri Jun 2 15:19:38 EDT 2017

Greetings all!  I received a phone call from a teacher at Highland Pines
School in Caro in regards to automating their school library.  Highland
Pines provides programs for the early childhood special education,
moderately cognitive impaired, severely cognitive impaired and severely
multiple impaired students.  One of the main goals of the school is to
teach life and job skills enabling students to work in the kitchen, day
care, and library for example.

Currently, when a student wants to check out a book from the school
library, another student library clerk checks the item out by writing down
the student's name,  school id#, and title. The teacher mentioned that
depending upon the library clerks ability, things may not always be
accurate or very legible.

This teacher is in search of a circulation software package that would be
easy enough and pretty basic for the student clerks to use and for the
school to implement.  She didn't mention cost.

Does anyone have suggestions?  Perhaps a open source software?  She
realizes they will have to barcode their collection, but they are hoping
not only to digitize the collection, but provide more of a technology skill
set for their students.

If anyone has suggestions or ideas or know of other schools that use a
specific system, please feel free to email me off list.

As always, thank you for your input!

Kate Van Auken, Director
6495 Pine Street
Cass City, MI  48726