[Michlib-l] Local Newspapers Online

Aubrey Franklin afranklin at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Mar 8 12:37:31 EST 2017

Good afternoon!
We have a collection of local historic newspapers in an ongoing digitization project. Donation money specified for this project has enabled us to have the physical papers scanned with OCR technology onto external hard drives. Currently, we have 30+GB of data, with each PDF weighing around 10,000KB. I am looking into making these files available to the public online through our library's website. I've run into some problems because the files are too large to upload to WordPress, and I do not want to overload our website. I found an online reading service called Sribd, which the files will fit on and I can link to the files from our website. However, I am having concerns about storing these files on a third-party, corporate site, which may not have the security or longevity we would need.
Does anyone have an experience with making local historic documents available online? What service did you use, and what was the cost? I'm open to considering all suggestions. Please respond to afranklin at tln.lib.mi.us

Thanks!

Aubrey Franklin
Adult Services Librarian
Romulus Public Library