[Michlib-l] Juvenile & Adult cards

Mindy Schafer mschafer at dewittlibrary.org
Tue Mar 21 09:45:19 EDT 2017

Hello all!
This is a question for libraries who use different patron types for
juveniles and adults.  Currently, our system is not set up to automatically
convert a card on the holder's 18th birthday.  We require that patrons
update/verify their account information every 3 years; however, this means
an account could go for 2 years and 364 days in the "wrong" patron type.

We are considering setting cards to expire on 18th birthday (making sure we
give patrons 30-60 day notice).  We would then ask the new adult to fill
out his/her own application to replace the one his/her parent or guardian
originally signed.  We are interested in knowing how other libraries handle
new adults, particularly SirsiDynix libraries.

Thanks for your input!

--
Mindy Schafer
Assistant Director/Youth Librarian