[Michlib-l] Disc Cleaning/Repair Question Responses

Ms. TJ Smith libdirector at shermantwplib.org
Thu May 4 17:55:26 EDT 2017

Total Responses: 14
JFJ Easy Pro: 5
EcoPro/Smart (ELM-USA): 6
Eco/ELO Disc, Disc-Go-Devil, VMI, RTI Eco-Smart: 1 each

We have used RTI's eco-smart disc check for over 10 years and it works great.    It takes up the room of a regular computer workstation.  We use it to clean maybe 10 discs per week?
--Melissa H. (Hudsonville)

We have an older VMI that works well on DVDs, but does not do Blu-ray or video games.  We also have a single-disc ECOPro2, which does all three types and works very well, if staff/volunteers remember to put it "to bed" correctly.  This is detailed in the instructions, and we've made a cheat-sheet as reminders.

Both were funded by grants and are about $1,000 +/- shipping and extra supplies.  I would say that the ECOPro2 is more effective and a better use of the funds, as it does all three formats.  Also, be sure to shop around.  There are some great sales, and we got our VMI through Baker & Taylor, if you can believe it.  Free shipping!

VMI 3500 - https://www.venmill.com/products/vmi-3500-buffer
ECOPro2 - https://www.elm-usa.com/products/ecopro2-rental

--Cynthia S. (Albion District Library)

We use JFJ Easy Pro which was inexpensive and small.  I've been happy with the job it does.  It repairs all but the worst gouges fairly well, following directions.  We also use 2 to 3 times a week.  The downside is the compound deteriorates so I throw away a lot of compound (about once a year). The supplies are fairly expensive but not horrible.  All in all, this was worth its price in convenience.

--Sharla V. (Tekonsha Township Library)

DeWitt uses the JFJ Easy Pro Total Disc Repair.  We desperately needed a DVD cleaner, but did not have a lot of money to spend. I believe it is around $129 but supplies have to be purchased separately, so I think we invested around $150 total.

We've had the machine around 4+ years with no troubles, and we easily clean a dozen DVDs (sometimes more) per week. Over the summer, we cleaned the entire children's DVD collection. The only thing we have had to purchase is additional cleaning supplies.

Here is the link for the company:
http://www.jfjeasypro.com/shopnew/

It may be cheaper to buy it off Amazon or elsewhere online....I don't know.

--Jennifer B. (DeWitt District Library)

We have been using an EcoSmart disc cleaning machine since 2011 with excellent results.  It can take a very badly scratched DVD/CD and restore it to almost new condition.  They are a bit pricey initially but they go-and-go (we have never had any mechanical failure with our machine.)
Here is Elm USA contact info:
Michael Rozner
Sales Manager
ELM USA
1611 Barclay Blvd.
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
Phone: 847.243.4150
Fax: 847.243.4155

--Al S. (Muskegon Area District Library)

About 10 years ago we bought the EcoSmart machine. At first it was not used often but now we clean about 50 discs a week, and still working great. It is a wonderful machine. For limited space it is nice also, probably uses about a 2' x 2' area. The machine is smaller than that but with water and tubing you will need about that size space. You can find out more about the machine at Elm USA, (847)243-4150 or www.elm-usa.com (Michigan Reps name is Mike Rozner).

--Cheryl W. (Lapeer District Library)

Dorr Township Library used Elm USA for about 2 years. We recently just canceled our contract with them because their terms didn’t work out for us, but they may for you. They have a pay as you go program that used to have no minimum charge. Unfortunately, they raised their minimum to $25 a month which is about 100 discs a month if I’m remembering correctly. We did way less than that so it just wasn’t cost effective for us, but it is a very small machine (smaller than a breadmaker) and takes up little space. For repairing the discs, it worked really well for us and almost all our scratched discs were saved (the really bad ones were just beyond help). And it is relatively inexpensive as long as you are meeting their minimum.

--Elyshia S. (Hopkins District Library)

We have been using the Disc-go-devil for about 10 years now.  We polish on average 3 discs a week as well.  Because of the abrasive nature of the polishing compound some of the working parts need to be replaced from time to time.  They sell a very affordable refurbishing kit,that includes easy to follow instructions.

--Marion B. (Northfield Township Area Library)

I suggest contacting:
Mike Ruffolo, President
 ELM USA
1609 Barclay Blvd
Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089
Tel: +1 847-243-4150
Mobile: +1 224-409-8643

We have "rent" their ECOpro unit... pay per disc cleaned.  The unit is small so it easily fits on a counter and they provide the supplies when needed.  They recently changed their terms of service (i.e., have to pay a minimum of $25 or clean the equivalent of 100 discs per month).  However, they also have other options for libraries that don't have that volume of cleaning/buffing each month.  They've always been very helpful and pleasant to work with as well.  If you do contact him tell them I said "Hi!”

--Stephanie M. (St. Joseph/Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library)

Hi! We use the JFJ Easy Pro and it works really well.  If you’d every like to see how it works, you are more than welcome to stop by our library.  Thanks!

--Kimberly C. (Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Library)

We have a JFJ Easy Pro disc cleaner.  We saw them some years ago at the ALA exhibits and were given a coupon for quite a bit off the regular price.  We have been happy with it.

--Anne G. (Eau Claire District Library)

Hi:  We use the ELO Disc Repair System, formerly Eco Disc. Apparently a new company took over Eco disc and changed the name. We had an Eco disc machine for over 10 years and it worked great. When it finally broke down, we called the company and they replaced it with the ELO at a good discount.  But, we didn't have it more than 3 weeks when we had to send it in for repair.  I don't believe it's made the same.  Anyway, the customer service was great. They sent a label for mailing it back to them, fixed it in a timely manner, and it has worked fine since.

So, not sure whether or not I can recommend this machine. Good luck!

--Loretta S. (Branch District Library)

We use a JFJ Easy Pro machine. It's fairly inexpensive and works well for us (we clean about 10-15 discs a week). The machine in quite small too - less than 18 inches on all sides.

--Katrina S. (Crawford Co. Library)

We use Elm-USA service.  They supply the machine and all supplies, we pay them at a rate of $.25 per disc cleaning.  There is a minimum monthly of $25.00 (100 discs cleaned), but that's fairly easy to meet.  There is no deposit needed and set up is easy - machine is about the size of a 4-slice toaster.  The only issue is you must be able to hook up internet to the machine (they gather stats via internet).  The cleaning takes as little as 30 seconds per disc and is clean - no polishing needed afterwards.  This was our best choice since we are a smaller library.
Hope this info helps.

--Laura O. (Camden Twp. Library)

I've attached a PDF as well for those that want to save the responses more easily.

Ms. TJ Smith
Library Director
Sherman Township Library
(989) 644-5131