[Michlib-l] Conservation Workshops, May 25th

Caryn Noel cnoel at sscms.edu
Wed May 17 10:08:17 EDT 2017

Please excuse any cross posting.  I've had the pleasure to meet the team and they are very knowledgeable.  Find those treasures and enjoy a peaceful day at Orchard Lake before the Polish Country Fair! - Caryn

Thanks to the support of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Poland, it's our privilege to host a world-renowned team of experts here at The Polish Mission. Dr. Marek Kolyszko, Dariusz Subocz, and Adam Korcz are here all the way from Poland's Torun and Grebocin, and they're experts in the fields of archaeology and conservation. During their stay they'll be dedicating their time to helping preserve our treasured collections here at Orchard Lake, and discover more!
Thursday, May 25
Two Workshops: 12 noon and 6:00 pm
@ the Galeria // (Building #8) 3535 Commerce Rd., Orchard Lake, MI 48324
Thursday, May 25 will be your opportunity to see professional museum work up close, as Dariusz Subocz begins conservation of three special pieces from our Galeria collection: A Winter Landscape in Polesia by Falat, Self Portrait with Christ by Malczewski, and Boleslaw I of Swiatopelk at the Golden Gate in Kiev (sketch), by Matejko. Guests will have the opportunity to learn conservation methods through Subocz's work and ask questions directly. Conservation of these three works of art was made possible through the generosity of the Orchard Lake Schools Ambassadors, the Levandoski family and Mr. Walt Bala.
Dr. Marek Kolyszko is Poland's most renowned archaeologist, who has excavated historic sites from the battlefields of Scotland to the deserts of Libya. Dr. Kolyszko will conduct a hands-on learning experience, in which guests can make souvenir castings of objects from our collection. The plaster/silicone casting method is the same one used in restoring Poland's historic castle facades and other masonry. In addition, Adam Korcz will demonstrate the art of paper making, while showing his recent work on 16th- through 17th century royal Polish correspondence from our collection.
Our team is proud to offer free museum evaluations of your own paintings, documents, and metal objects. Feel free to bring your items to the Galeria, and our team will offer advice on how to preserve them for posterity. Guests are advised to wear comfortable work clothes and shoes. Enjoy sweet Kremowki made by our own Chef Emily with coffee & tea, while our museum team shares stories and expertise with our community. Don't hesitate to call with questions, and see you Thursday!
Contact Polish Mission Director Marcin Chumiecki at mchumiecki at orchardlakeschools.com<mailto::mchumiecki at orchardlakeschools.com> or (248) 683-0412 for more information, or call (248) 683-1759 to reserve your spot right away!
Marcin Chumiecki - Director
The Polish Mission of The Orchard Lake Schools
Polish-American Art and Cultural Research Foundation
3535 Commerce Rd
Orchard Lake, Michigan 48324
Eastern Time (ET)
(001) 248 683 0412 - office