[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Job Postings, Wolverine State, Giving Tuesday, Bus Tour, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Nov 17 16:31:05 EST 2017

Looking For a Job?

If you are looking for work in the history field, make sure to take a look
at our  <http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/>
History Job Board. This board is an up-to-date listing of our member
organizations' various opportunities from all areas of the state. They range
from full-time positions to volunteer opportunities and are not limited to
any specific background or job experience.

To submit a listing to the History Job Board, you must be a member
organization of the Historical Society of Michigan.
<http://hsmichigan.org/join/> Details about joining the Society can be found
on our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/> Take a
look at the job postings!

Michigan, the Wolverine State

"The Wolverine State" is one of Michigan's traditional nicknames-but how
common are these iconic animals? Wolverines rarely, if ever, lived in
Michigan. So how did Michigan get that nickname? One belief is that people
in Ohio began to call Michiganders "wolverines" during a quarrel over the
state border in 1835. Wolverines are ornery animals, so Ohioans likened
their neighbors to them. By 1861, University of Michigan sports teams had
begun using the nickname Wolverines to equate themselves with those fierce
animals.

 <https://www.facebook.com/michiganhistory/> Did you know this tidbit of
Michigan history? Let us know on our Facebook post!

A Great Time to Give

As a non-governmental nonprofit, the Historical Society of Michigan depends
on gifts from individuals like you to fund the work of preserving and
presenting the rich, colorful history of our state. We provide a multitude
of historical programs, conferences, community resources, and publications
that are used to enhance Michigan's history and help preserve its various
historical organizations and programs. We work toward educating and
preserving the rich cultural history of Michigan, and we look for ways to
preserve the history of the past, the present, and the future.

For the 2017 Giving Tuesday season, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
has partnered with Facebook to provide a Giving Tuesday donation match-for
each donation a nonprofit organization receives on Giving Tuesday through
Facebook, the foundation will match that donation. This is a monumental step
for HSM, and for many other nonprofits, since it provides us with that extra
"oomph" we can use to help our programs and missions continue.

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Please stay tuned to our Facebook
page for more information on how to help HSM share Michigan's history for
years to come.

We thank all of our members, supporters, subscribers, and fellow history
fans for all that you do to help us tell Michigan's stories.

Giving Tuesday is held on November 28.

Michiganders on the Road Presents "Founding of America" Tour

We know Michigan is a great state for culture and history. But we also know
there is some great history in the other 49 states as well. That's why we
developed our "Michiganders on the Road" motor coach tours-and we've already
set our sights on 2018!

How did our nation come about? What did the Founders envision for their
country? Can a government of the people, by the people, and for the people
survive? As one historian has put it, "the road from Jamestown leads to
Gettysburg." We'll discover how the United States originated and how it was
sustained in our 9-day, 8-night Founding of America Tour. History-packed,
fun-filled, and bursting with good eats along the way, this tour is sure to
delight anyone looking for a historical adventure with fellow Michiganders.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/founding-of-america-tour.
pdf> View the detailed itinerary on our website.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/america-tour-regist
ration/> Already know you want to come? Register today!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Calling all HSM Member Organizations!

We're still looking for one-of-a-kind artifacts and items!

Do you have an unusual, one-of-a-kind artifact or item in your collections?
We're looking for eligible items to include in our publications. If you
think you have a unique item of interest, let us know! Eligible items and
artifacts that belong to an HSM member organization will be featured in our
publications, along with your organization's site information.

Please e-mail  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org for more
details.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/>

The Local History Conference is Coming!

March 23-24, 2018

Sterling Heights

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/> Stay tuned
for more information!

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Mackinaw Area Historical Society presents "Christmas in Mackinaw,"
Saturday, December 2, in Mackinaw City.

The Crocker House Museum and Macomb County Historical Society present the
"Christmas Victorian Wassail and Bazaar," Saturday, December 2, and Sunday,
December 3, in Mount Clemens.

The Bay County Historical Society presents "Trombley/Centre House Holiday
Open House," Friday, December 8, in Bay City.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.