[Michlib-l] Michigan recommendation

Kelly Bennett kelly at ferndalepubliclibrary.org
Fri Oct 13 10:16:58 EDT 2017

Matt Jones and the River Street Anthology.
https://www.facebook.com/riverstreetanthology/

Matt is collecting recordings of Michigan musicians from all over the
state. He presented with us just last Friday and recorded two new entries
for the archive right in our library! You can see some of our videos of the
event here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FerndalePublicLibrary/videos

He's recorded everything from Native American celebration songs to punk
rock to soul to shoegaze and everything in between. Your patrons can
experience history, and be a part of it's preservation!

>From their description:

*The River Street Anthology is creating a map in real time of the Michigan
musical landscape. The RSA has traveled thousands of miles, recording over
300 Michigan musicians via digital tape, film, photograph and fine art. The
project seeks to collect, preserve, and make accessible music covering the
gamut of genres, cultures, ages, and genders of Michigan music. Our mission
is to preserve for future generations the opportunity to examine their own
roots, as well as build understanding of the experience of their neighbors.
Through the documentation of the artists in their respective geographies
and societal context, the RSA hopes to provide culturally inclusive
opportunities for research and reflection.*

*All materials collected by the RSA will be housed and preserved in the
Archives of Michigan in Lansing in perpetuity. They will be made accessible
to the public via a website currently under construction. I will ask each
artist to sign a waiver giving me the mechanical rights to the recordings-
meaning that I will be asking for ownership of these specific recordings
for putting them into the Archives in Lansing. I won't own the songs, or
the artist likeness, or any intellectual property rights. I will ask each
artist to sign a form waiving the mechanical rights- meaning the specific
recording that I make, so that I can place that specific
recording/video/photography into the Michigan archives.*

Good luck!

Kelly Bennett

Head of Circulation, Ferndale Area District Library