[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Michigan History Magazine, Fun Facts, Upcoming History Hounds, Bus Tour Success, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Wed Oct 25 08:30:09 EDT 2017

Our Latest Issue of Michigan History has Arrived-Read All About It!

The November/December 2017 issue of Michigan History magazine has appeared
on store shelves and doorsteps around the state! This issue is jam-packed
with several articles from across the state, all of them focused on a unique
point in Michigan's history. From Mackinac Island's unique artistic history
to international ski-jumping to Michigan's interesting political background,
this issue is sure to delight every history fan!

Interested in taking a sneak peek?
<http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> Try out a few
stories on us!

To catch a glimpse of the magazine's content, check out our article line-up
below!

November/December 2017

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/current-Made-in-Michig
an.pdf> Made in Michigan: Logging Tools by Deborah Larsen

Thanksgiving Day Magic on Woodward Avenue by Romie and Laurie Minor

The Michigan Vote: A Political Battleground by Jack Lessenberry

Zeba: Legacy of a Native-American Mission by Judith Sundstrom-Carlsen

Lest We Forget: Michigan's Memorials to World War I by Dennis Skupinski

Ironwood: An Epicenter of International Ski Jumping by Charles Supercynski

Mixed Heritage: A Unique Free People of Color by Shonda Buchanan

Will Carleton, Michigan's Poet by Byron A. Finney

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/current-highlighted-ma
gazine-story.pdf> The Art of Mackinac by Steve Brisson

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/> To learn more about
Michigan History magazine, check out our website!

Poetry Against Slavery: Elizabeth Chandler

Elizabeth Chandler was born in Delaware in 1807 and moved to Tecumseh,
Michigan Territory, in 1830. Elizabeth's poems, such as "The Slave Ship,"
told of slavery's evils-a fierce advocate for abolition, Chandler worked
tirelessly through her poetry to spread awareness of the negativity
surrounding slavery.

In 1832, she and Laura Smith Haviland founded the Logan Female Anti-Slavery
Society. It created an important link in the Underground Railroad to help
freedom-seekers reach Canada. Following a life-long career of abolitionist
ideals, Elizabeth Chandler died in 1834 and is buried near Tecumseh.

Coming up next with History HoundsT.

Mid-Michigan Modern: Designs that Shaped America

Wednesday, November 8 - 7 p.m.

http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/hardhat.jpgDesigners,
architects, companies, and academic institutions in Michigan have made an
impact on Modernism since the turn of the twentieth century.

This lecture will address our state's role in the development of modern
design through production, education, and architecture.

History Hounds is FREE for individual members of HSM. Non-members are
welcome to enjoy a lecture for $7. In addition to attending personally, HSM
member organizations have the option to live-stream the lecture for free for
its members.

Lectures start at 7 p.m. (unless noted) at the Meijer Education Center at
the Historical Society of Michigan, 5815 Executive Dr., Lansing, Michigan.
The lecture and Q&As usually last about an hour. Seating is limited and
pre-registration is suggested but not required. Walk-ins are welcome. For
in-person attendees, light refreshments will be available.

Participants can "attend" remotely, if they prefer, through Zoom Video
Communications and will be able to interact with the speaker and other
attendees.  <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/>
For more information on our remote access services, see our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> To learn
more, visit our website!

Michiganders on the Road Hails Tour a Success!

on-the-roadFrom October 13-16, 2017, a wonderful group of HSM members and
history enthusiasts embarked on a tour of Lincoln's hometown and surrounding
history on the "Life of Lincoln" motorcoach tour.

Taking in the sights, sounds, and food of Lincoln's stomping grounds, the
tour explored the beautiful Lincoln museum, New Salem, Lincoln's home in
Springfield, and the old capitol building. Our fearless tour guide,
Historical Society of Michigan staff member Bob Myers, led the successful
charge across statelines and had only positive things to say following the
trip's conclusion: "The Lincoln home and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential
Museum were a huge hit! The group had a great time, and there was great food
and times to be had."

For those of you who missed out on the "Life of Lincoln" tour-never fear! We
have an exciting year of bus tours planned for 2018.
<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/> Stay tuned for
more updates regarding Michiganders on the Road tours on our program page.

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Interested in perusing our publications?

If you are interested in exploring Michigan History magazine or the Historic
Michigan Travel Guide in person, stop by your local Meijer grocery store and
look for our publications! Meijer carries both our magazine and the travel
guide for any history-minded enthusiast to pick up while shopping.

Interested in reading some of our story content online?
<http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> We always have a
sneak peek at our magazine content on our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/>

Coming Up Next With the Michigan History Alliance.

michiganHistoryAlliance_web

Central Michigan - October 26

Meijer Education Center, Lansing

Northern Michigan - October 27

Jay's Sporting Goods, Gaylord

Western Upper Peninsula - November 7

University Archives, MTU, Houghton

Central Upper Peninsula - November 8

Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center, Marquette

Eastern Upper Peninsula - November 9

Sault Ste. Marie

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michigan-history-alliance/> Learn more on
our website!

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Calling all HSM Member Organizations!

We're still looking for one-of-a-kind artifacts and items!

Do you have an unusual, one-of-a-kind artifact or item in your collections?
We're looking for eligible items to include in our publications. If you
think you have a unique item of interest, let us know! Eligible items and
artifacts that belong to an HSM member organization will be featured in our
publications, along with your organization's site information.

Please e-mail  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org for more
details.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Library of Michigan presents "Author Talk: Sailing into History,"
Saturday, November 11, in Lansing.

The Holland Area Historical Society presents "Almost Home: The Phoenix
Disaster of 1847," Tuesday, November 21, in Holland.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.