[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Manoomin Recipe, Fun Facts, Upcoming Workshop, Upcoming History Hounds, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Sep 22 08:00:12 EDT 2017

Manoomin: Michigan's Native Grain

Recipe Included!

Have you ever heard of Manoomin?

Few people outside the tribal communities have heard about a protein-packed
wild grain that grows in Michigan, perhaps because it was more abundant 100
years ago than it is today.

The Anishinaabek--Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi--know about wild rice, or
Manoomin "the good berry," because it is central to their migration story.
Manoomin is difficult to find today, as ricing lakes in Michigan are
limited. However, the LaBine family, most of whom are members of the Lac
Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa in the western U.P., has riced
for generations and cooks with Manoomin on a regular basis.

Below is one of the wild rice recipes the LaBine family still uses today--if
you can get your hands on some wild rice, feel free to give this recipe a
try!

Wild Rice Fruit Salad - from Wayne LaBine, Sokaogon Band of Lake Superior
Chippewa

1 pound wild rice

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

2 tablespoons maple sugar or brown sugar

1 pint fresh strawberries, quartered

1 pint fresh blueberries

1 pint fresh raspberries

Directions: Rinse wild rice until water is clear. Soak wild rice in hot
water, covered, overnight. Wild rice should be split and curled by morning.
Add a cup or so of water to rice so you have enough to boil. Bring wild rice
to a boil, shut off heat, cover. Let cool, drain off excess water. Mix maple
syrup, maple sugar (or brown sugar), strawberries, and blueberries into the
rice. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving, gently fold in the
raspberries.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/chronicle/> This recipe was featured in
Chronicle, our membership publication. Don't miss out on Michigan's cultural
history--check out Chronicle magazine!

Joseph Napier: A Hero Remembered

Joseph NapierJoseph Napier, the U.S. Life-Saving Station keeper at St.
Joseph, Michigan, earned the Life-Saving Service's first Gold Lifesaving
Medal. In October 1877, the schooner D.G. Williams became stranded off the
harbor in a storm. Capt. Napier and three volunteers rowed a boat out to the
wreck. Their boat capsized and Napier was hurt, but he valiantly saved the
schooner's crew. In 2016, the U.S. Coast Guard commissioned a fast response
cutter named the USCGC Joseph Napier in honor of Napier's memory.

Don't miss our next History Skills Workshop.

Telling Stories: Setting Up an Oral History Project

September 29 - 9 a.m.-12 p.m.

workshop-emblemThe practice of conducting oral interviews is a major
accomplishment and an important step to preparing a larger historical
project. Those looking to start an oral history project will not want to
miss this workshop, which will cover the process of identifying
interviewees, developing questionnaires, and conducting interviews.
Attendees will also learn the importance of organizing and maintaining oral
histories so that they can be accessed by researchers in the future.

These training opportunities help historical organizations and interested
history advocates gain skills that can be applied in museums, organizations,
and personal collections. Registration is required for participation. Remote
attendance is also supported via our zoom communications system.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> To learn more, visit our
website!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Interested in perusing our publications?

If you are interested in exploring Michigan History magazine or the Historic
Michigan Travel Guide in person, stop by a Schuler's bookstore, Barnes and
Noble, or your local independent bookseller and look for our publications!

Interested in reading some of our story content online?
<http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> We always have a
sneak peek at our magazine content on our website.

Coming Up Next With History HoundsT.

Remembering Blaney Park With Oral Histories

October 11, 7 p.m.

http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/tennis-dog.jpg

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Learn more
on our website!

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Canton Historical Society presents "Back to Blackboards: Before Canton
Center School Was a Museum," Saturday, September 30, in Canton.

The Northville Historical Society presents "Northville Cemetery Walk 2017,"
Sunday, October 8, in Northville.

The Michigan State University Museum presents "National Fossil Day," Monday,
October 9, in East Lansing.

The Holland Area Historical Society presents "Sweet Success: History of
Holland Peanut Store," Tuesday, October 10, in Holland.

The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum presents "7th Annual Whitefish Point: Run
for the Light 5K/10K Walk/Run," Saturday, October 14, in Paradise.

The Harbor Springs Area Historical Society presents "Little Traverse
Lighthouse Tour," Saturday, October 14, in Harbor Springs.

The Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society presents "Night Fright,"
Saturday, October 21, in Hanover.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.