[Michlib-l] Books in foreign languages

Katie Rothley krothley at southfieldlibrary.org
Mon Sep 25 14:29:16 EDT 2017

Hello Michlib!

For those of you who have collections of books written in various
foreign languages, I'm wondering who you purchase these books from, do
you do your own marc records and processing, or outsource these (or does
the vendor supply these services)?

Our library has a collection of books in foreign languages but we have
not added to it in a long time, and would like to. We don't have a
cataloger here and I asked Ingram (our main vendor) about purchasing
books in other languages; their response was they only provide marc
records for books purchased in Spanish.

Thank you so much for your time!

Katie

Katie Rothley, MLIS
Adult Services Librarian
Southfield Public Library
26300 Evergreen Rd
Southfield, MI 48076
(248)796-4380
southfieldlibrary.org

>>> "White, Shannon (MDE) via Michlib-l" <michlib-l at mcls.org> 5:51 PM
9/21/2017 >>>
Learn and share with other public librarians from across the country at
the upcoming PLA Conference in March. Don't forget you can apply for a
CE Stipend from the Library of Michigan to attend conferences.
Visitwww.michigan.gov/cestipend for more information on funding to help
you attend professional development events.

PLA 2018 Conference registration & housing now open. Visit:
http://www.placonference.org/
for full details on the conference.

Offered biennially, the PLA Conference is the premier event for public
libraries, drawing thousands of librarians, library support staff,
trustees, friends and library vendors from around the world. The 2018
Conference will be held March 20-24 in the heart of downtown
Philadelphia with most events taking place at the Pennsylvania
Convention Center
(
http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02OTYwMTkyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTc2ODImbGk9NDc3ODkzNTM/index.html)
.

Themed, “Imagine the Possibilities,” the PLA 2018 schedule is packed
with extraordinary educational content, inspirational speakers, and
memorable entertainment. The conference will feature distinctive
networking events, opportunities to mingle with authors, a bustling
exhibit hall, and more than 100 educational programs carefully curated
for public library professionals. The Big Ideas Series kicks off each
day with a BIG idea with the potential to impact and empower the way you
think, act, and work. Among the confirmed speakers are actor/comedian
Hasan Minhaj, best known as a correspondent on The Daily Show, and
Elizabeth Gilbert, author of the 2006 inspirational memoir Eat Pray
Love. For complete details, visit the conference website
(
http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02OTYwMTkyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTc2ODImbGk9NDc3ODkzNTE/index.html)
.

Being a PLA member can save registrants $135 (over ALA members) and
$280 (over nonmembers) when they take advantage of the early bird rate
before Jan. 19, 2018. Not a member? Visit the PLA membership site
(
http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02OTYwMTkyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTc2ODImbGk9NDc3ODkzNTU/index.html)
 and join so you can save, too! ALA members and nonmembers can take
advantage of special advanced registration rates before Feb. 23, 2018.
Find a complete list of PLA 2018 Conference rates here
(
http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02OTYwMTkyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTc2ODImbGk9NDc3ODkzNTc/index.html)
.

Shannon White