[Michlib-l] 3D Printed Guns?

Paul McCann pmccann at dexter.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 3 09:08:43 EDT 2018

Hi Devin,

This is an interesting question.  As I understand the general issue, the
current question is whether the code that would allow 3D printing should
be made freely available over the Internet.  The outcome of that
decision will determine how easy it will be for anyone to get the basic
computer instructions to print a 3D gun without having to write the code
from scratch.  I'm sure the instructions are already out there in the
dark corners of the Internet.

Thinking about your question, would a library allow any visitor to print
any other weapon, say a 3D knife?  What about printing 3D drug
paraphernalia or 3D sex toys?  Local library use policies could be
structured in a way that could prevent 3D printing of all weapons and a
variety of other items through the use of library technology. For
instance, a library might specify a policy that limits the use of a
library 3D printer to pre-installed objects.  A library could maintain
control over the use of the machine and evaluate objects added for
public use.  It has been a common computer use policy to prohibit
library equipment.  It is also common that library behavior policies
prohibit possession of weapons, drugs and material harmful to minors on
library property.

The 3D gun case is huge, but if the plans are released and widely
available it does not necessarily lead to a library being required to
provide the means for any person to implement those plans on demand.

Just my 2¢.

Paul McCann

Paul McCann				Dexter District Library
Library Director			3255 Alpine St.