[Michlib-l] Self-check units available

Ceci Marlow cmarlow at cromaine.org
Fri Aug 17 11:08:24 EDT 2018

Hello all -

Cromaine Library has replaced the three ITG/Bilbiotheca self-check units
this month and we now have three working, easy-to-use self-check units
available.

These desensitize magnetic tape. They do not read RFID. (We are not an RFID
library.) We've used them with the Horizon, Symphony, and now TLC Carl
systems without a problem. They have detachable printers. One unit is
free-standing--it comes on/with a table. The other two need to be on a
table.

They are 9 years old, but they have been trouble-free for us. While we'd
really like to recover some funds, we asked $3,000 for the table unit, and
$2,000 each for the other two, we have had no bites in southeastern
Michigan.

We got into self-check first because in a small town kind of place, which
Hartland is, where you have such wonderful stability in your Circulation
staffing, which we do, it can be intimidating and inhibit circulation of
some of the tougher topics on your shelves. Self-check allows for privacy
of check-out. We all honor privacy, I know, but when you're facing divorce,
abortion, child custody, and some illnesses deemed less "acceptable" being
able to check out the materials you need privately can make a difference.

Yes, it also helped take some of the business off the Circulation desk and
staff so that they could do more of the follow-up on materials and reader's
advisory work at which that staff often excels. Our implementation of
self-checks was not to lessen personal service, but to increase it.

And, at this point, this replaced equipment needs to go. We are willing to
consider best offers. We are willing to accept payment plans. We cannot
deliver, but we can store until the October Michigan Library Association
Conference in Novi, if you are only able to come and get them at that
point. We are just 5 miles north of the intersection of US 23 and I 96 and
have open hours from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm Monday-Thursday, plus 10am-5pm
Friday and Saturday, and shortly, we'll be open on Sundays from 12-5pm. We
can make arrangements for other times.

We would really like to see them continued to be used. Let me know -
cmarlow at cromaine.org, 810-632-5200, ext 105. Ceci Marlow

--
Cecilia Ann Marlow
Library Director