[Michlib-l] Ingram/B&T Retail?

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 4 13:53:18 EST 2018

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/industry-deals/article/78727-ingram-in-rumored-bid-to-buy-b-t-retail-arm.html

The article seems to imply that any potential sale to Ingram would involve only the retail side of B&T, as opposed to the (more profitable) library side, which would remain with Follett?

Before the rise of Amazon and the demise of many independent bookstores, and Borders too, a good rule of thumb was that B&T's business consisted of 50% libraries and 50% retail, whereas Ingram was 90% retail and 10% libraries. Brodart, with the exception of a couple of bookstores they owned which I believe are now closed, was and still is 100% libraries. I don't know how things shake out retail vs library sales today. In the earliest days of Amazon, and this may still be the case today, Ingram's Nashville book warehouse fulfilled orders for Amazon's Nashville book warehouse.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager
The Library Network