[Michlib-l] Fine forgiveness question

Deborah Haak dhaak at threeriverslibrary.org
Thu Dec 20 09:31:02 EST 2018

Hi all,

I was talking with a patron the other week who was wondering if there is a
way that she might be able to pay off the fines of other patrons, and
particularly those in need.

I know that she could give an anonymous donation to "pay it forward" for the
next however-many patrons come after her. But, she was wondering if there
was some way that we could identify patrons with the most need, who might
benefit the most from having their fines removed. The front desk clerks have
somewhat of an idea of which patrons are in need, and we can run reports to
see who has fines, but I'm not sure how we would go about selecting patrons
(and notifying them).

Has anyone out there used any sort of "scholarship" or "lottery" or
something that we could replicate?

If you respond off-list, I can compile responses.

Thank you for all your work!

Deborah Haak

Accounts Technician

Three Rivers Public Library