[Michlib-l] ELL Rochester Hills Conversation group

Mariano Cadiz voxsav1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:30:42 EST 2018

Hi Shannon,
I’m Mariano Cadiz and I host the ELL conversation group at the Rochester Hills Public Library.  Yes, it’s challenging at times hosting the group.  Here’s some suggestions that works for me, I tell my students:
1).  Most important: Smile, say “hi”, speak louder and open your mouth. This help others to “read” your lips.
1).  Just speak, do not worry about correct grammar, mistakes are ok.  To gain confidence in speaking is the goal.
2). I separate students or couples from the same country.
3).  I make sure everyone participates and I call the students that are quiet or shy.
4).  I choose discussion topics that I know will interest them.
5).  I stay flexible and go with what the group are discussing at that day.
6).  I also provide them weekly assignments,  which gives them time to prepare for the next class.
7).  I make it fun, we play games, meet offsite, have potlucks ,picnics or if it is nice day we go for a walk to the park and take turns conversing.
I hope these suggestions help you.
Feel free to email or text me anytime.
Good luck!
mariano.cadiz at rhpl.org