[Michlib-l] Data literacy conference next week - July 11-12

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Thu Jul 5 19:31:43 EDT 2018

A gentle reminder that the 4T Virtual Conference on Data Literacy will be
here next week on Wednesday, July 11, and Thursday, July 12. It’s free,
thanks to funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Sessions will be archived, so if you cannot attend in person but would like
access, please register and we'll send out archive links post-conference.
While sessions are designed for a target audience of high school educators,
many librarians of all types register each year.

Public librarians in particular might find the two noon sessions helpful.
Wednesday's noon session focuses on FRED economic resources from the
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, and Thursday's noon session includes
quick strategies for building a community profile.

*Here's an overview of the presentation schedule:*

*WEDNESDAY, JULY 11*

12:00 - 1:00pm Learning Data Science at the Library: Lesson Plans on Data
Literacy Skills (Charissa Jefferson, Diego Mendez-Carbajo, Katrina
Stierholz)

1:15 - 2:15pm All About You, Up For Sale: How Data Brokers Like Cambridge
Analytica Construct Consumer Identities (Wendy Steadman Stephens)

2:45 - 3:45pm Maps, Graphs, and More Oh My!: Reading and Evaluating Data
Visualizations (Tyler Hoff)
4:00 - 5:00pm Exploring Big Issues with Data in Society: Using Case Studies
with Students (Kristin Fontichiaro)

*THURSDAY, JULY 12*

12:00 - 1:00pm Building Data Literacy Among Students Using the ARDA’s Free
Online Resources (Andrew Whitehead)

1:15 - 2:15pm Practical Obscurity: My Right to Fail Versus Your Right to
Know (Susan Ballard

2:45 - 3:45pm Fantastic Statistics and How to Use Them: Data for School
Newspaper Reporting (Tasha Bergson-Michelson and Tuvya Bergson-Michelson)

4:00 - 5:00pm Helping Students Ask Better Questions About Data (Connie
Williams)

**All presentations times are in the Eastern time zone.

*Learn more about conference sessions at
**http://dataliteracy.si.umich.edu/conference/schedule/
<http://dataliteracy.si.umich.edu/conference/schedule/>** and register
at http://dataliteracy.si.umich.edu/conference
<http://dataliteracy.si.umich.edu/conference> .*