[Michlib-l] Rated R movies

ConnieJo Ozinga cjozinga at commercelibrary.info
Thu Jul 12 11:00:31 EDT 2018

The MPAA makes it very clear that their ratings system is only for movie
theater use. I agree with Jaema.  Patrons should be the ones to decide what
is appropriate for themselves and their kids.  Otherwise you are
pre-censoring a lot based on someone else's decisions.  I've worked at
several libraries and worked on several selection policies and have not
previously run into a library that censors all R rated movies.    Connie

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Jaema Berman via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Our opinion is that it is the patron's responsibility to decide what movie
> content they are comfortable with. We feel it is not the library's job to
> police what people watch. The content of the movie is not a reflection on
> the "character" of the library. There are many awarded films that have an R
> rating and we focus on acquiring movies of *quality* regardless of the
> rating.
> Sincerely,
> Jaema Berman
>
> ------------------------------

Connie Jo Ozinga
Library Director
Commerce Township Community Library
180 E. Commerce
Commerce, MI 48390
(248) 669-8108 x101
www.commercelibrary.info

Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing *  Playing

--
The information contained in this electronic message is intended only for
the use of the designated recipient(s). If the reader of this message is