[Michlib-l] YS Job Posting

Christine Hage christine.hage at rhpl.org
Thu Jun 14 10:31:58 EDT 2018

*Job Announcement*

*Rochester Hills Public Library*

*Youth Services Salaried Librarian*

 *Position:*       Youth Services Librarian

*Supervisor:   *Betsy Raczkowski, Youth Services Manager

*Salary:         *$20.86 an hour, pro-rated vacation, sick, holidays,
disability, pension, opt in to medical, dental and vision coverage.

*Schedule:    *22.5 hours per week, regularly (includes evening and weekend
hours)

*Dates*:          Deadline for applications:         July 9, 2018

                     Interviews anticipated:              July 13 – 14, 2018

                     Decision anticipated by:           July 14, 2018

                     Starting date:                             ASAP

*Application:*  Please complete the *application online at
(www.rhpl.org/jobs <http://www.rhpl.org/jobs>) and attach a* *resume, cover
letter, and responses to questions at the end of this posting*.

*Primary Job Duties:*

·    Provide comprehensive library service to individuals and groups, both
inside and outside the library.

·    Provide reference assistance and reader’s advisory to patrons of all
ages and abilities.

·    Evaluate and select print and electronic resources for children
through grade 8

·    Program planning and implementation for children, birth through grade
8.

·    Instruction in use of the library and the resources offered

·    Webpage development and maintenance

·    Work with other Youth Services staff in the creation of new programs,
projects and materials

*Required Qualifications:*

·    Master’s degree in Library Science or Early Childhood Development

·    Skill in planning and presenting developmentally appropriate programs
for children

·    Ability to prioritize tasks and duties and work independently

·    High level of energy and self-motivation to create new services

·    Strong familiarity with juvenile reading materials and genre
collections

·    Full range of internet skills and experience, as well as MSOffice and
other Windows software

·    Strong oral and written communication skills

·    Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule in order to implement
programming

·    Willingness to seek out and complete appropriate grant applications

·    Willingness to participate in professional associations

*Desirable Qualifications:*

·       Experience with Polaris

·       Experience in a public library setting

·       Experience with grant writing

This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications; it is intended to describe the major responsibilities and
requirements of this position.

Please respond to the following questions and include those responses with
your resume and RHPL application.

   1. Why do you want to work with young children?

   1. We offer many program for young children and their adult caregiver.  What
   kinds of programs would you suggest we add to enhance our youth offerings?

   1. If I were to duplicate a typical week of your reading choices, what
   would I be reading?  (By choices, I mean just about everything short of
   cereal boxes.)

   1. In a field of strong candidates, what makes you stand out?

Christine Lind Hage
Director, Rochester Hills Public Library
Division Councilor, United for Libraries
500 Olde Towne Road
Rochester, MI 48307-2043
248/650-7122

The E's of Libraries®: Education, Employment, Entrepreneurship, Empowerment,
Engagement