[Michlib-l] Religion in the libraries follow-up

ConnieJo Ozinga cjozinga at commercelibrary.info
Fri Jun 15 07:55:38 EDT 2018

Many years ago as a Director in another state my library board unexpectedly
banned Christmas at their November meeting.  Really.  Decorations were
limited to greenery (no Christmas trees), poinsettias and red ribbons and
no holiday specific programs.  It did not sit well with our community or
our staff.  I even ended up on local talk radio.

This community had a good sized Muslim/Somalian refugee community, which
was a big part of what spurred the board member who initiated it.

If your board is thinking of doing something like this it might work better
if they at least post the agenda item ahead of time.  It turned out to be
very bad PR.

Connie

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Don Priest via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Thank you to everyone who has responded!  I've received a lot of very
> useful information, opinions, resources, and viewpoints, and a couple of
> interesting discussions have been taking place.  Certainly a lot for me to
> think about!  I'll compile responses next week, after I'm sure everyone who
> wants to contribute has had a chance.  A few people have already indicated
> they're not comfortable with their views being put out to everyone, and I
> will, of course, respect those wishes.  If you messaged me off list, and
> would prefer your comments to remain private,* please* let me know by
> Monday, June 18th.  Thank you again, everyone!
>
> Don Priest
> Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
> 14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.
> Southgate, MI 48195
> 734-258-3002 ext. 3003

Connie Jo Ozinga
Library Director
Commerce Township Community Library
180 E. Commerce
Commerce, MI 48390
(248) 669-8108 x101
www.commercelibrary.info

Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing *  Playing

--
The information contained in this electronic message is intended only for
the use of the designated recipient(s). If the reader of this message is